[Mailman-Developers] Mailman transparency

Michael Schwendt ms-nospam-0306 at arcor.de
Fri Sep 12 10:35:59 EDT 2003

For some time I've been experiencing the following two problems on
a few Mailman mailing-lists:

1) Messages which contain lines that start with a leading "From" are
escaped to ">From" prior to being distributed to all subscribers. This
damages signed message content. E.g. PGP/SMIME signatures attached to
such messages no longer match the message body and verify as BAD
because the subscribers receive the message with escaped lines.

One of my recent messages posted to a mailing-list hosted by Red Hat
suffers from that problem:

http://www.redhat.com/archives/rhl-devel-list/2003-September/msg00068.html

The same message mailed to me directly via several servers does not
contain escaped "From" lines. Therefore its signature verifies as
GOOD. [The only additional change in the archive is that the quoted
mail address has been obfuscated.]

I understand that Mailman escapes the "From" lines in the message body
before archiving the messages. But it should not distribute the
modified messages.

[...]

2) Occasionally, a subscriber finds that a posted message has made it
to the mailing-list only truncated. It turns out that the message
contained a line with only a single dot by itself. Mailman cuts off
the message body at that line before distributing the truncated
message to all subscribers. It looks much like the dot is treated as
SMTP message body delimiter but in a non-transparent way. The users
should be protected from something like that.

[...]

Does any of this make sense? ;) In case it doesn't, I need to look for
other tools in the chain which could be responsible for the described
symptoms.