[Mailman-Developers] Re: [Mailman-Users] Mailman & CPanel?

Jon Carnes jonc at nc.rr.com
Mon Sep 22 20:34:09 EDT 2003

On Mon, 2003-09-22 at 19:09, Barry Warsaw wrote:
> On Mon, 2003-09-22 at 18:49, Chuq Von Rospach wrote:
>
> > > Does anybody know anything about this?
> >
> > I've seen people asking about it on ListOwners. I've kept my head down
> > because I didn't know what you'd said/done, but it sort of sounds like
> > it's either the cPanel folks trying to blame Mailman for its own
> > problems, or an ISP trying to blame cPanel and/or mailman. I know we've
> > never explicitly supported cPanel in the mailman projects. it seems
> > like cPanel is the crew to bring this up with, not us.
>
> Ah, thanks for the info Chuq.  I think you've got the right take on
> things, except that I'd add this: if the cPanel developers have specific
> issues with Mailman that are causing them problems, I'd be happy to hear
> about them, and if it makes sense, to address them.  I also wouldn't
> turn down their money <wink>.
>
> Other than that, you're right, we really don't have any relationship
> with them, which is different than saying we're actively not supporting
> it anymore (not that we did in the first place :).
>
> -Barry

We've seen a lot of CPanel folks coming here for help.  I basically
delete those, since we can never help them.  But a few times folks on
the list have expressed that we can't help them; that could easily be
interpreted as "Mailman won't support CPanel installs".

One frustrating item that is expressed periodically is that CPanel won't
open their source up.  It would be nice if they would provide some sort
of API or if they would release the source of their "Mailman widget"
that controls Mailman - then we *could* help them.

I'm very surprised that no one from CPanel has approached Barry or the
developers-list yet.  There is a lot broken with CPanel that could be
made much better with some shared ideas.

Jon Carnes