[Mailman-Developers] Re: Bounce removal parameters default values

Simone Piunno pioppo at ferrara.linux.it
Fri Sep 26 12:24:12 EDT 2003

On Friday 26 September 2003 17:47, Barry Warsaw wrote:

> Admins of low volume lists might want to change some of the bounce
> processing defaults.  However, by default if a list gets no bounces from
> you in 7 days, it considers any previous bounce info to be stale and
> throws it away.  So the list would need to get one bounce per day from
> you for 5 days in a row for you to get disabled.

You write it as it was extremely difficult... but in reality on the server I
manage it happened a dozen times in the last month (4 times to me alone).
This is getting pretty annoying.  I get disabled on 20-30 lists, spread on
different virtual domains, so even the "globally" option in the re-enabling
form doesn't help much (cause globally = virtual-domain-wide).
I don't have any solution but please don't dismiss this problem.

> The other option I would suggest is that list owners start turning on
> personalization, in order to take advantage of VERP.  I think it's
> harder to get spoof-disabled when VERP is enabled because then Mailman
> looks for the bouncing address in the encoded recipient header.

This looks promising.  Is there any howto explaining how to migrate to VERP on
a running list and what gotchas to pay attention?

--
Adde parvum parvo magnus acervus erit -- Ovidio