[Mailman-Developers] Re: Bounce removal parameters default values

Barry Warsaw barry at python.org
Fri Sep 26 13:18:22 EDT 2003

On Fri, 2003-09-26 at 12:45, Greg Stark wrote:

> That sounds great, except I'm subscribed to 183 lists, mostly low volume.
> Periodically I get interested in some project I put aside long ago, check my
> mail folder for it and discover I've stopped receiving messages months ago.
> That sucks.

Agreed.

> I don't see why using a message with known content is any more of a "negative"
> test than basing the decision on list messages with unknown content. If you
> get a bounce from a probe you disable the recipient. That's as much a positive
> test as looking for bounces.

Let me see if I understand your proposal then:

- Once your bounce score reaches a certain level, you don't get
disabled, but you get on a "hello? are you there" list.

- We probe your address for a while, and if we get a bounce, then we
disable you and do the normal notifications for reinstatement.

- If we /don't/ get a bounce from you for, what? X number of days, what
happens?  We send another probe and don't disable you?  The probe could
contain a message similar to the reinstatement message so that you could
stop the probes, but otherwise, how long do we keep sending probes?  I
don't necessarily trust that we can send only one, but OTOH I don't want
to fill up your inbox with probe messages.