[Mailman-Developers] Re: Bounce removal parameters default values

J C Lawrence claw at kanga.nu
Fri Sep 26 12:36:49 EDT 2003

On 26 Sep 2003 11:41:08 -0400
Greg Stark <gsstark at mit.edu> wrote:

> Deciding an address is invalid on the basis of messages posted to the
> list is bogus. Mailman can't know whether the message posted to the
> list bounced because the address was invalid, or merely because the
> content of that particular message triggered a content-based filter.

At its core this is an argument between pragmatism and principle.

  My principled side says that an alarming number of sites actually do
  use content filters and that they are a reality of email life and we
  should properly handle reality.

  My pragmatic side says that content filters are inherently and
  necessarily broken and like any other technical brain-damage,
  shouldn't be accommodated.

As always, you get to choose.

Currently I'm very happy with the principled side.

--
J C Lawrence