[Mailman-Developers] "@" in mail **text** gets replaced inarchives

Barry Warsaw barry at python.org
Sun Sep 28 01:37:22 EDT 2003

On Sat, 2003-09-27 at 09:59, Kevin McCann wrote:

> Try it for yourself. Maybe your needs are different. But if I want an
> archiver that will process huge mbox file from other systems - without
> crapping out, will decode encoded binary attachments, have flexible,
> customizable output, etc., I can't think of anything else I would rather
> use. If MHonarc is so bad, why do so many people go the extra lengths
> currently required in order to use it instead of pipermail?
>
> As I say, it works for me. And very well. Maybe worth a second look? If you
> try it again let me know what you find.

Pipermail definitely has some distinct advantages, so I'm glad we
include it.  It has some problems too, most notably its memory
consumption, and I think inefficient on-disk storage.  The most often
cited problem is that it cannot handle regenerating entire very-large
archives because of memory usage.

I really really want to use something like message-ids to generate
message file names.  I want to be able to generate links to archived
messages in the footers, but I think the best way to do that is to agree
on a reproducible, independent algorithm for calculating them.  Another
approach would be to put even the public archives behind a cgi and have
that implement a mapping between message-id derived links and the
sequential file names (although that won't fix the regen problem).

It would also be nice if we could more easily customize its look and
feel.  Anything more and we're getting into arch-ng and zest
territories.