[Mailman-Developers] Re: [Mailman-Users] Getting caught by SPAM Filters because of Mailman handoff

Richard Barrett r.barrett at ftel.co.uk
Sat Apr 24 13:16:55 EDT 2004

On 24 Apr 2004, at 02:10, Lloyd F. Tennison wrote:

> Companies are now starting to block Mailman lists (among others)
> because of the way the headers are sent out stating the hand-off to
> the server:

> 	by mail.python.org with esmtp (Exim 4.22)
> 	id 1BH7Kx-0001vz-7S; Fri, 23 Apr 2004 16:31:51
> -0400
>

> Anything with that format - they are marking as "probable SPAM"
>
> Any thoughts on how to zap?

Although I run the outgoing MTA and Mailman on the same machine, my
Mailman SMTP configuration tells it not to address the MTA using
localhost (127.0.0.1) but by the FQDN and IP number which appears in
our globally published MX record for that server. Thus the Received:
header added by the outbound MTA at this juncture refers to reception
form a host (itself) which is resolvable via DNS to an MX record by
MTAs which subsequently handle the message. In that respect, it is thus
fairly indistinguishable from other Received: headers that precede and
follow it.

Would this be avoid triggering the approach in anti-spam measures you
refer to?