[RETRANSMIT] Re: [Mailman-Developers] Debate about Mailman on BytesForAll

Brad Knowles brad at stop.mail-abuse.org
Thu Aug 26 22:46:27 CEST 2004

At 4:10 PM -0400 2004-08-26, Dale Newfield wrote:

>  The biggest problem with BerkeleyDB is that it REQUIRES that the file
>  system support memory mapping the files.  This means that you cannot
>  guarantee correctness if these files are located on an NFS mount.

	True enough.  That's a known issue with BerkeleyDB.

	But why would you be putting any of this stuff on NFS anyway?
And how would you deal with all the file locking issues?  And
cross-platform issues?  I've been doing NFS for a very long time, and
I have yet to see a mail-related environment where NFS is a good
choice or works well.  Given the sorts of things we're talking about
doing, I can't imagine that NFS could possibly be a good solution.

     Assembly to the Governor, November 11, 1755