[Mailman-Developers] Min requirements for running Mailman?

Terri Oda terri at zone12.com
Tue Aug 31 18:19:29 CEST 2004

On Aug 31, 2004, at 5:00 AM, Nigel Metheringham wrote:
> I'd tend to take this as:-
>       * Mailman is a bitch to package
>       * RH have packaged it for a while
>       * RH found a good few of the gotchas in packaging Mailman
>       * RH have subsequently learnt from their mistakes and recently
>         have produced good packages.
>       * Other distros may do better, or may yet have to learn from
> their
>         mistakes :-)

I believe point number one there says it all. :)

Also, if you're concerned about packaging, you might want to consider
doing it from source.  It's really not very hard -- Mailman generally
upgrades easily if you're not going between major revisions.

I've been running it from source on Red Hat, Debian and FreeBSD
machines for many years now without too many gotchas.  The only one
that comes to mind was an oddity with the HTML to plaintext conversion
on our older red hat machine, but it's a really easy fix in the config
file.

  Terri