[Mailman-Developers] real virtual domain support - possible implementation?

Msquared sub1.dev.mailman at msquared.id.au
Fri Dec 3 04:59:43 CET 2004

Hi guys! (and gals :) )

I remember when I first installed Majordomo and experiencing
majordisappointment that it didn't truly support virtual mail domains.  It
suffered the same limitation that Mailman currently does:
foo at 1.example.com and foo at 2.example.com are the same list.

I managed to work around this by using Sendmail's virtusertable to create
different aliases for each domain.  The aliases worked their magic by
simply invoking Majordomo with a different configuration file for each
domain.  The configuration file ensured that each domain's configuration,
archives, resend lists, etc, were independent of one another, as they were
stored in different subdirectories, named after the domain they were
configured for.

This magic was acheived using M4 macros, to make my life easier.  I build
my virtusertable and aliases from the one config file and the M4 macros.
It's easy to modify the macros to call Mailman from different domains, and
could even pass a different configuration parameter, or domain name
identifier, or whatever, to the Mailman mail wrapper, just like I did to
the Majordomo wrapper.

Is there a way to call the Mailman mail wrapper in such a way as to have
it use a different Defaults and/or mm-cfg file on each invocation?  How
about the cgi scripts and commandline scripts?

It'd be kind of kludgy, but it would work well, I think.  There seems to
be discussion and requests for real virtual domain support on the list
from time to time, and I think this would be a simple way to achieve it.

Regards, Msquared...