[Mailman-Developers] Site-wide confirmed opt in setting?

Kevan Benson kentrak at sonic.net
Fri Dec 3 21:55:11 CET 2004

On Friday 03 December 2004 01:16 am, Brad Knowles wrote:
> At 5:05 PM -0800 2004-12-02, Kevan Benson wrote:
> >  Any plans to include a feature where the server administrator can force
> > lists to be confirmed opt-in?  I administer a server that allows free
> > mailing lists to customers of our ISP, and forcing opt-in behavior is
> > useful as it allows tangible benefits with spam lists.
>
> 	I'm not personally aware of any such plans, no.  But this is a
> very good idea.
>
> 	Could we ask you to add this via the Request For Enhancement
> tracker at <http://sourceforge.net/tracker/?group_id=103&atid=350103>?

Done.  Request ID 1078589

> >  Also, is there a policy reason why the return address and address listed
> > in the template of the password reminders is the main list owner (first
> > list created) and not the list owner of the list that address is
> > associated with?
>
> 	I'm not sure I understand the question.  Could you be more
> specific, or perhaps give us an example?

Attached is an example message (the password's been changed so it's not
compromised, even though it is a test list).  The _site_ list is "mailman",
the list the address belongs to is "testlistcboyce".  The password reminder
is from "mailman-owner at listman.sonic.net", and they are prompted to send
"questions, problems, comments, etc" to this address in the body as well.  A
simple template change can fix the body (if I can figure out the variable for
the right address), but the From: address portion is a bit harder.

The main issue with this is we currently have 140 lists on the server, and I'm
about to programmatically migrate another 600-800 lists from our aging
majordomo server.  So on the first of every month, for every list that has
password reminders set to go out, any replies to these thousands of messages
(which invariably are unsubscribe requests) go to mailman-owner, which as I
understand it is the site admin, and shouldn't be hit with unsubscribe
requests for individual lists.

-Kevan