[Mailman-Developers] Encoding & html pages

Nadim Shaikli shaikli at yahoo.com
Mon Dec 6 21:03:28 CET 2004

Greetings, let me prefix this with "I'm not familiar enough
with Python" and proceed with my question.

Having looked at the code briefly to see how I can have
Mailman default to displaying my html pages with the 'UTF-8'
encoding, I was able to see that one can affect the encoding
(programatically) via changing the "lang" (or as its noted
the variable 'DEFAULT_SERVER_LANGUAGE' in Defaults.py/mm_cfg.py).
I'm also guessing that this affects the localization of the
displayed text, etc (which I don't want to do).

I then looked into the Defaults.py file which notes
'DEFAULT_CHARSET' but that looks like its related to pipermail
only (which I'm not using, MHonARC fits me better).  If my
assumptions are correct this variable should be renamed to
'ARCHIVER_DEFAULT_CHARSET' to better fit with all the other
related variables (while at it maybe 'VERBATIM_ENCODING' should
also be 'ARCHIVER_VERBATIM_ENCODING').

I then looked into Defaults.py where various languages are
listed and their supplied encodings (again this is related to
localization and I'm not looking to affect/change that).  Yet
it seems to me that someone using 'en' as a language might still
want to use "UTF-8" as the default encoding on all the HTML pages
and I wasn't able to figure out how to do that.  If this
is currently not possible, may I suggest the creation of a
'DEFAULT_SERVER_ENCODING' that would take precedence over anything
defaulted.  In other words, if the _SERVER_ENCODING is set
then it will be used even instead of what is listed in the
localization list else mailman ought to do what its doing now.

In passing, you might want to have Mailman default to UTF-8
instead of 'us-ascii' since many mailman users are now serving
multiple language lists.  Just a thought.

Using - mailman-2.1.5-4 (debian)

Regards,

 - Nadim