[Mailman-Developers] Is the config.pck.last logic correct?

Les Niles les at 2pi.org
Sun Feb 8 14:10:37 EST 2004

On Sun, 08 Feb 2004 13:59:06 -0500 Barry Warsaw <barry at python.org> wrote:
>On Wed, 2004-02-04 at 14:09, Les Niles wrote:
>> Our list server had another crash the other day, this time it
>> really toasted a couple of lists. :(  (No, we hadn't yet done any
>> of the mitigation steps that we should've, at least none that
>> worked....)
>> Obviously I don't have a reproducible test case for this, but maybe
>> someone has some idea of what's going on, and how to improve the
>> robustness.
>
>Have you tried setting SYNC_AFTER_WRITE=Yes in your mm_cfg.py file?
>
>-Barry

No, not yet.  That's one of the mitigation steps the lack of which
demonstrates why I should be kept away from computers.  But whether
the writes succeed or fail or trash the file, I couldn't see how
both config.pck and config.pck.last got corrupted.  If it's some
subtle bug in the program's logic, that might be worth fixing, but
if it's just some serious nastiness on the part of the filesystem
then nevermind.

BTW, I don't think I mentioned before, this is mailman 2.1.3 on
FreeBSD 4.9-stable with a UFS filesystem.

  -les