[Mailman-Developers] Virtual domain support

Barry Warsaw barry at python.org
Tue Feb 10 16:04:14 EST 2004

On Tue, 2004-02-10 at 15:51, Jamie Penman-Smithson wrote:

> (a) List names aren't unique across virtual domains, domain1.com cannot
> have a list called 'test' if domain2.com has a list called 'test'

This is true.

> (b) Linked to the above, the problem I've been having is that Mailman
> has one site password and one list administrators password for *all*
> virtual domains, (there are no 'domain administrators' who have
> add/delete privileges for lists *only* for their own domain). If someone
> knows the list admin password, they can create and delete lists not only
> for their own site, but on all the other virtual domains as well.

You can't create lists with just a list password, but you can with the
creator password.

The first one has /some/ support in Mailman but it's very hacky.
There's a module called Site.py and an extend.py module per list that
provides some hooks for better virtualization.  You'll have to hack
Python here and unfortunately there aren't any examples.  One approach
might be to map listnames to directories that are prefixed with the
domain's name.

The second is more difficult because the concept of a domain has mostly
been wedged into MM2.1 so there's no notion of a separate authentication
layer at the domain level.

Yes, this will be fixed in future versions, but not in Mailman 2.1.