[Mailman-Developers] Re: Virtual domain support

Zoran Dzelajlija jelly+mailman-dev at mail.iskon.hr
Fri Feb 13 11:54:08 EST 2004

Jamie Penman-Smithson <jamie at silverdream.org> wrote:
> I'm currently using Mailman 2.1.4, and currently, there are several
> problems with Mailman's implementation of virtual hosting:

> (a) List names aren't unique across virtual domains, domain1.com cannot
> have a list called 'test' if domain2.com has a list called 'test'

> On a large installation this is a real problem, and the only real way
> around it is to run multiple installations of Mailman - one for each
> site. This is pretty impractical if there are many, many virtual
> domains.

I've made a patch which addresses this one.  The new lists have both list
name and domain included in the _internal_name attribute, like cPanel (but
with less bugs).  It's really a hack, I didn't touch newlist nor the web
interface for creating lists, the creation of aliases files is currently
handled outside Mailman, but it works pretty well for now.

Let me know if you're interested.

> (b) Linked to the above, the problem I've been having is that Mailman
> has one site password and one list administrators password for *all*
> virtual domains, (there are no 'domain administrators' who have
> add/delete privileges for lists *only* for their own domain). If someone
> knows the list admin password, they can create and delete lists not only
> for their own site, but on all the other virtual domains as well.

FWIW, we have a custom web interface for list creation (which dates back to
early MM2.0 releases, when Mailman didn't have a web interface to create
lists) which is the only place where our customers can create and delete
lists by themselves.  This application presents the customer only the lists
residing on their own domains, and also updates the aliases file for our
MTA.

Only the system administrator knows the site password.

Regards,
Zoran