[Mailman-Developers] Mailman 2.1.4 migration

Brad Knowles brad.knowles at skynet.be
Thu Feb 19 15:11:51 EST 2004

At 10:42 AM -0700 2004/02/18, Kory Wheatley wrote:

>  My plan was to install a clean version of mailman 2.1.4 on lx5.isu.edu,
>  then move the mailing lists from mm.isu.edu over to lx5.isu.edu (the
>  directories that I would move over would be /home/mailman/lists and
>  /home/mailman/archives) and hopefully nobody would notice that there
>  was a change done.  Basically, I'm trying to duplicate what I have
>  on mm.isu.edu to lx5.isu.edu and then remove the old mm.isu.edu.
>  I'm I missing any steps or is this possible?

	This is basically the sort of thing that I'm doing for ntp.org.

	My plan is to set up the new machine, copying all the
configuration information from the old machine, but not populating
the list or archives just yet.  Do a test for each list to some
addresses I own, making sure that the behaviour is as desired with
regards to how the list reacts when a subscribed or unsubscribed user
posts.

	Once proper behaviour is confirmed for all lists (including
USENET news gateway features, but posting to a suitable ".test"
newsgroup instead), then copy the subscriber lists over for all
lists.  Shut down the mail servers on both the old and new systems,
so that nothing comes in while you're moving things over.

	Set up aliases on the old server to the addresses on the new one,
so that all mail for those lists are forwarded to the correct place
(just comment out the old alias entries, in case you need to restore
the previous behaviour).  Once complete, copy the archives over and
set up similar internal redirects within the web server, so that
incoming browsers are redirected to the correct place.  Keep an eye
on things for a while.

	Once we're satisfied, then change the DNS records so that the MX
and IP address point directly to the new server.

	At least, that's my current plan.  However, I will also closely
review
<http://www.python.org/cgi-bin/faqw-mm.py?req=show&file=faq03.004.htp>,
and then see if there are any other additions/changes that need to be
made.