[Mailman-Developers] bug in Mailman 2.1.4 ??

Martin Maechler maechler at stat.math.ethz.ch
Wed Jan 7 07:55:26 EST 2004

    Barry> On Tue, 2004-01-06 at 12:43, Robby Griffin wrote:
    >> > Only later we found that with the web interface we get
    >> a big > problems, for administrative things, both user
    >> subscription or > adminstrator login.
    >>
    >> For what it's worth, I upgraded a single-server
    >> installation yesterday and did not have this
    >> problem. It's probably something unusual in your setup.

    Barry> Neither did I, although there was one report of a
    Barry> problem with authentication that is fixed in CVS and
    Barry> which I think only affects sites under very uncommon
    Barry> situations.  I need more detail about these "big
    Barry> problems" before I'll know whether this is related.

    >> > if mm_cfg.SYNC_AFTER_WRITE:
    >> > AttributeError: 'module' object has no attribute 'SYNC_AFTER_WRITE'

    >> Your new Mailman/Defaults.py (and Defaults.pyc) should
    >> contain a SYNC_AFTER_WRITE setting (the default is No,
    >> which you'd override in mm_cfg.py). If you had previously
    >> write-protected Defaults.py or Defaults.pyc, or somehow
    >> overwrote the new one with an old one, then the attribute
    >> would be missing because the file wasn't updated.
    >> Otherwise it's not obvious how that would occur, maybe
    >> your mm_cfg.py fails to import everything from Defaults?

    Barry> I'm pretty sure the release notes said that you MUST
    Barry> re-run configure before installing.  Defaults.py gets
    Barry> generated from Defaults.py.in by the configure
    Barry> script, so if you don't re-run configure, you won't
    Barry> get the new defaults such as SYNC_AFTER_WRITE.

We did rerun it in one place (mail server), but forgot in the
other place (web server).

Thanks a lot for your help, and for mailman in general
(and do apologize for having disturbed you!)

BTW:  It seems 2.1.4 did catch much more bounce messages than 2.1.3:
      In about 10 hours, I didn't have one of the "Uncaught bounce notification"
      messages that I usually get about one per hour!

Thanks a lot!

Martin Maechler <maechler at stat.math.ethz.ch>	http://stat.ethz.ch/~maechler/
Seminar fuer Statistik, ETH-Zentrum  LEO C16	Leonhardstr. 27
ETH (Federal Inst. Technology)	8092 Zurich	SWITZERLAND
phone: x-41-1-632-3408		fax: ...-1228			<><