[Mailman-Developers] Archiving according to "Received" date - add this as an option...

Andrzej Kasperowicz andyk at spunge.org
Mon Jan 12 17:09:00 EST 2004

I think that there should be an option allowing to archive mails
according to date of reception of the posts by mailman, and not date set
by user who sends it. That would prevent dates from the future in the
archive: 2006, 2011, 2013, 2024, which you can see in many lists, like
for example mailman-users archive:
http://mail.python.org/pipermail/mailman-users/

Some archivizers determine messages' date by default according to
Received field:

=======
http://www.mhonarc.org/MHonArc/CHANGES

1998/02/18	(2.1.1)

	o  Added DATEFIELDS resource.  The resource allows the user to
	   specify the fields (and order) that are checked when
	   MHonArc extracts the date of a message.
========

http://www.mhonarc.org/MHonArc/doc/resources/datefields.html

By default. mhonarc looks at the Received fields of a message to
determine a message's date. This tends to be more accurate as it tells
when the message was actually received (it is better to trust a date/time
you have control over vs what the sender has control over).
However, you may want to have the date based upon the time the sender
composed the message. The Date field usually reflects the composition
date.
========

I don't know if it is foolproof, but I would wish also pipermail to look
rather at the received date, than sender composed date (which can be 2024 or
something).
It really looks strange when there are so many dates from future stored
in archive...
I'd prefer to have a few hours error (if any) in recognizing the date, than a
few years one.

Regards
Andy