[Mailman-Developers] Mixed Languages in response messages

Michael Heydekamp my at freexp.de
Tue Jan 20 17:41:00 EST 2004

Simone Piunno <pioppo at ferrara.linux.it> wrote on 20.01.04:

>>> the response to the 'help' request of a subscriber delivers a
>>> German output except for the command 'confirm
>>> <confirmation-string>' which comes in English.

> "confirm" is not translatable, because it's really a command for the
> interface minilanguage.  E.g. you don't transalate "print" when
> you're writing a programming manual.

I think you got me wrong. ;)  The problem is that there *is* a
translation in mailman.po already but it's not used due to some reason.

This is what I get:

----------8<----------
>   confirm <confirmation-string>
>       Confirm an action.  The confirmation-string is required and should be
>       supplied by a mailback confirmation notice.
        English paragraph -> ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
>   end
>       Beendet die Liste der Kommandos. Sinnvoll, falls Ihr
>       Mailprogramm eine Signatur an den Nachrichtentext anhängt.
        German paragraph -> ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
----------8<----------

So a mix of English (for the "confirm" command) and German (for the
"end" command).  And this is what I should get (because it's in
mailman.po, and yes, I re-compiled mailman.po after I made some
corrections, and the behaviour is the same also with the original file):

----------8<----------
>   confirm <confirmation-string>
>       Bestätigt einen Befehl. Der Bestätigungscode ist zwingend
>       erforderlich und muß in der Rückbestätigung übermittelt werden.
        German paragraph -> ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
>   end
>       Beendet die Liste der Kommandos. Sinnvoll, falls Ihr
>       Mailprogramm eine Signatur an den Nachrichtentext anhängt.
        German paragraph -> ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
----------8<----------

See?

>> if there's any better place to ask?

> There's a list devoted to Mailman translations:

>    mailman-i18n at python.org

Well, I know that this list exists but having had a quick look into it
it didn't make the impression to me as if this would be the right place
for this particular question.  It's not a translation issue (as I can
translate the stuff myself), it does more look like a code and thus a
developer issue to me.

I'm not too familiar with the format and the logic of mailman.po
(although I made some successful changes and corrections), but it might
have to do with the 'fuzzy' line here:

----------8<----------
> #: Mailman/Commands/cmd_confirm.py:17
> #, fuzzy
     ^^^^^
> msgid ""

I'm not sure what that does and when I remove it and re-compile the
file, it doesn't change anything.

Also do I find the English text in fact in line 17 of cmd_confirm.py,
but I dont't know what that means either.

        Michael