[Mailman-Developers] AOL's requirements for spam complaints

Brad Knowles brad.knowles at skynet.be
Fri Jan 30 14:20:16 EST 2004

At 1:23 PM -0500 2004/01/30, Kevin McCann wrote:

>  I do not personally have the skills to do this but I wouldn't rule
>  out trying to get the funding to help make it happen. I wonder if
>  there is there enough collective know-how among Mailman developers
>  and other interested parties. Let me ask: if you don't see this as
>  being a priority now, do you see it as being such in 2 years, 3
>  years, five?

	Do you have any concept as to how much work has gone into
sendmail over the past twenty-plus years?  Or postfix, or Exim?  They
tend to get most things right, but even now they have plenty of
problems -- they just have fewer problems than most other MTAs.

	You might be talking about a change that would require
essentially throwing out everything that has been done before, and
starting over from scratch.

	Do you have the millions of dollars and human-centuries worth of
productive coding that it would take to write yet another MTA
properly?

>  More than anything I'd like to see an open source MLM that can
>  keep up.

	There are some things that Barry has already ruled out.  Writing
a custom MTA for Mailman is one of those things.

	Don't even bother barking up this tree.

	Perhaps, for Mailman 3, Barry could talk to people like Eric
Allman, Wietse Venema, and other solid MTA authors, to see if there
is a way we could get a certain amount of message customization
pulled into the MTA, without killing the performance of the machine.

	But that's a question that Barry would have to answer.