[Mailman-Developers] AOL's requirements for spam complaints

Brad Knowles brad.knowles at skynet.be
Fri Jan 30 14:24:32 EST 2004

At 10:49 AM -0800 2004/01/30, Somuchfun wrote:

>  Like I said, I have tried other softwares on the market and used their
>  personalization feature. I even tried the same list on the same machine.
>  Mailman needed with personalization about 8.5 hrs. to send out one message
>  to all 50,000 people and Lyris Listmanager needed about 4.5 hours.

	Which may be because they have implemented their own custom MTA,
something that very few other MLMs in the world have done or can do.
Listserv with LSMTP being the only other example I can think of off
the top of my head.

>  Is disk I/O a problem? Of course it is, but it is a problem for all list
>  managing software packages.

	It can be less of an issue for those MLMs that have implemented
their own custom MTA.

>  So perhaps mailman is better for smaller discussion list than for larger
>  email lists.

	Yup.  If your list is too big for Mailman, maybe you need to find
a different MLM.  Perhaps some day Mailman will have had the
performance increased enough that it could handle lists that large,
but maybe it can't handle them today.

	Keep in mind that this is not a problem for 99% of the lists out
there that are handled today with Mailman, and there are even lists
with over 200,000 recipients in operation, which are running just
fine with Mailman.

>  All I want is a fast and cheap engine that can help me reach my goal - to
>  get the email to my customers quickly and to offer easy management
>  capabilities.

	Maybe Mailman is not able to handle that load on the machines you have.

>  So far I like mailman's management capabilities. The performance has left me
>  being disappointed.

	Perhaps it is the wrong software for your application.