[Mailman-Developers] Mailman unsubscribe mechanism unclear

Barry Warsaw barry at python.org
Fri Jan 30 22:09:31 EST 2004

On Wed, 2004-01-28 at 16:33, Somuchfun wrote:

> Can someone explain the exact mechanism mailman uses for unsubscriptions? I
> see some of them are done without a confirmation and some members get an
> email with a token asked to return it to confirm their unsubscription.
> I have played around with mailman but are not able to figure out how it
> determines when a confirmation is needed and when not.
> Hostile unsubscriptions are a growing problem and I would need a way to make
> sure all unsubscriptions need to be confirmed.

It's simple.

If the unsub request comes from a trusted source, e.g. a logged in user
or the list admin through the admin pages, no confirmation message is
sent.

If the request comes from an untrusted source, e.g. a non-logged in user
sitting at the options page login, or via an email request, then a
confirmation message is sent.