[Mailman-Developers] A bit of perspective ....

Chuq Von Rospach chuqui at plaidworks.com
Sat Jan 31 14:40:16 EST 2004

> Isn't LDAP a bit of a security hassle?  I would think it is pretty
> common to
> have Mailman running on a machine along side MySQL, Apache and and MTA
> of
> some sort but wouldn't throwing in LDAP be more like requiring people
> install
> a CVS daemon to use Mailman?  I'm no LDAP guru but from what I have
> looked at
> previously it certainly seemed that way.

it's secure enough that most major IS/IT organizations seem to be
standardizing it for distributing information like this. We now have,
in fact, an internal list server that does exactly this now, but I
wasn't directly involved in that project (it was a rewrite of a system
I wrote years ago by someone else). And in MacOS X 10.3, Apple started
moving it's stuff from NetInfo to OpenLDAP.

I think if it's secure enough for companies to implement, we don't have
many worries if we take care to use it properly.