[Mailman-Developers] Mailman/PostgreSQL

Robby Russell rrussell at commandprompt.com
Thu Jan 22 15:12:56 EST 2004

I am considering starting a new python program that would work very
similar to mailman but involve a PostgreSQL back end. I haven't looked
too far into the mailman code to determine just how much data it is
currently storing, so I am not sure if an abstraction layer to pgsql is
the best solution for what I am aiming to do.

My goal is to create an application that works very similar to mailman
with a database back end and contains reporting. At the moment, I am not
sure whether or not mailman has any reporting features that would
generate pretty pages with graphs, stats, etc.

Is there a reporting feature for mailman that someone has built already?
I want statistics of who posts the most on a list, how many people
subscribed between dates, by month, year, how many people unsub'd during
any specific period. (perhaps people unsub'd during a heated thread...
i'd like to track that sort of information).

So, as Mailman developers, do you see an 'easier' route using the
existing infrastructure to handle this sort of reporting with a db
backend? or should I start from scratch and use some of mailmans
technology in the process?

Anyone interested in assisting me in such a project? are there any
projects that some of you may be aware that already exist that work like
this?

Cheers,

Robby