[Mailman-Developers] Various strange permission errors

Jim Ramsay i.am at jimramsay.com
Tue Jul 6 19:15:56 CEST 2004

I'm running Mailman 2.1.5, as installed by the Gentoo ebuild, and have a
couple questions about some strange permission errors I'm getting:

1 - For some reason the permissions on the
/usr/local/mailman/archives/private is drwxr-xr-x, but the
/usr/local/mailman/cgi-bin/create is only rwxr-sr-x, so the 'create' web
script can't ever create anything in that directory.  So, should the
permissions on the archive directory be 775, or should the 'create'
script be suid?

2 - It looks like nothing poperly sets the permissions on
data/aliases(.db) or data/virtual-mailman(.db).  I did this by hand, but
maybe someone else should do that.

3 - After I 'fixed' the first error here by temporarily setting the
permissions on the 'create' script to suid, and after fixing the
permissions on the postfix alias files by hand, and creating a list,
check_perms says that there is a problem - the archive directories
should be mode 02775.  Why aren't they?

None of these are big problems, and I have work-arounds for all, but
they are weird.

That is all.

--
Jim Ramsay