[Mailman-Developers] VERPing: ouch!

Fil fil at rezo.net
Tue Jul 13 17:22:26 CEST 2004

> > But more importantly, the Mailman -> postfix thing took 5 hours
> > instead of ~ 15 minutes.
>
> What system metrics spiked during this time?

None!

>  160K/5 hours is a delivery rate of less than 600 per minute.  That's one
> message every 10+ seconds which is quite slow.  Even if you double that
> (receipt and transmission) that's only 1,200 per minute which is still
> dawdling territory.  Your MTA should have been able to keep that spool
> empty while twiddling its thumbs.

Yes, the MTA *was* twiddling its thumbs, and the system too... and as
Mailman's daemon was sending one VERP msg at a time, it was not processing
the usual incoming stuff, and not delivering the other lists. I got a nice
spike at the end of the 5 hour period, when all the msgs that were kept
waiting suddenly jumped in :-)

-- Fil