[Mailman-Developers] multipart/alternative

Jim Cole lists at yggdrasill.net
Wed Mar 10 23:35:28 EST 2004

On Mar 10, 2004, at 9:09 PM, J C Lawrence wrote:

> On Wed, 10 Mar 2004 21:05:02 -0700
> Jim Cole <lists at yggdrasill.net> wrote:
>
>> However I would prefer not give up all of Mailman's filtering
>> functionality in order to allow an HTML alternative to pass through
>> the system. I was looking for a solution that provided me the level of
>> control that I wanted over how things were filtered.
>
> Right.  What specific filtering pattern are you looking for?

The specific case is that should a multipart/alternative contain a
text/plain and a text/html, I would like to have a way for both to make
it through intact. The general case is that should a multipart
alternative contain any two types (or three or four or whatever), I
would like the list administrator to have final say on which parts are
passed and which stripped.

>> I just wanted to get some feedback before I started messing with code
>> that I am largely unfamiliar with.
>
> I take a slightly different approach and stuck Davide Salvetti's
> mimefilter in front of Mailman as that (for me) has the added
> advantages
> of not only doing the appropriate MIME manipulations, but sending
> emails
> back to the errant posters telling them what has been done to their
> messages (ie in polite suggestion to stop).

Thanks for the suggestion. I will toss this in with the other options
we are currently considering. A solution that doesn't involve code
modifications might be preferred by some of the people involved with
this task.

Jim