[Mailman-Developers] Feature Request: Jerk Mode

Bill Moseley moseley at hank.org
Wed May 5 13:50:53 EDT 2004

On Wed, May 05, 2004 at 07:18:51PM +0200, Brad Knowles wrote:
> At 9:36 AM -0700 2004/05/05, Bill Moseley wrote:
>
> > I run a few lists where we have trollers and trouble makers.
> > Unsubscribing or moderating them doesn't help because they re-subscribe
> > with a new email address. Moderation of subscriptions and posts is not
> > practical on some lists.
>
> 	Even if you required approval for the subscriptions, they'd still
> find a way to get through.  You have to moderate each and every post,
> at least for those subscribers who are causing problems.

When I turned on moderation they resubscribed.  So I'd need to moderate
everyone.  White listing would help on smaller lists, I suppose.

Both banning and moderation are obvious to the sender.

> > These people just post to get a reaction out of other list members.  The
> > best solution is to have people ignore them, but that's hard on a list
> > that is constantly changing.  So, this mode would allow a way for the
> > list owner to enforce people to ignore the posts.
>
> 	They would notice that they're not getting a reaction and
> re-subscribe under another name.  You can't stop them.

I agree, that's true for some.  It would slow the problem down in some
cases, though.  On one smaller list we managed to stop the behavior by
asking everyone to not respond.  So it does help in some cases.

No, not an answer.  It would just be another tool.  Like spam filtering
-- it's nowhere perfect, but I still use filtering as it helps reduce
the problem.

Thanks for the feedback,  and thanks for Mailman!

--
Bill Moseley
moseley at hank.org