[Mailman-Developers] Maybe you guys can help me

Stephen J. Turnbull stephen at xemacs.org
Fri May 7 06:57:52 EDT 2004

    Chuq> my current thought on that is:

    Chuq> http://www.plaidworks.com/chuqui/blog/001447.html

My now-ancient thought on this is

    http://turnbull.sk.tsukuba.ac.jp/Tools/Attitude/

Warning, it swears like a bounce.

    Chuq> so my policy is now simple: if you bounce it back, I'll
    Chuq> treat it like a bounce. If it has the word "spam" in it
    Chuq> anywhere, it'll be treated like a complaint against my
    Chuq> server, and suffer immediate unsubscription.

Thank you for taking point on this.  I get so tired of the "spam
fighters" who produce more unwanted mail than they receive!

    Chuq> and I suggest Mailman as a package take that approach, if we
    Chuq> want to have any hope of convincing admins to get their
    Chuq> bleeding act together.

If you want that to get anywhere, you're going to have to sharpen up
the language, though.  Many users have very little power over their
ISP and strong reason not to change (their ISP also provides their
income).  List admins tend to sympathize with their subscribers.  Yes,
we need to take the long view, but we don't want to go destroying
villages to save them, either.

Also, it's not really the mail admins.  I know a few "incompetent"
admins, but really they're just average dudes who lack the time.  They
_must_ cut down the spam and virus flow, so they choose a package that
has some reputation for doing just that, install it, and dismiss the
occasional complaint about excessive bounces or lost mail due to false
positives as cranks and casualties of war.

IMO, it's not the admins we need to punish, it's the _scanner
distributors_ who are providing software that by factory default
pollutes the whole 'net.