suggestion for Full Customization [Mailman-Developers]

Stig Sandbeck Mathisen ssm at fnord.no
Mon May 10 19:03:42 EDT 2004

On Thu, May 06, 2004 at 10:26:05AM +0200, Brad Knowles wrote:
> 	This is a mailing list.  Mailman is a mailing list manager.  It
> is not a "hidden address so you can spam" manager.  We're not trying
> to hide anything here, and I doubt that anyone is going to be
> interested to see code in the mainstream package that would try to
> address this "problem".

For announcement lists[0], being able to do handle subscriptions,
unsubscriptions and bounce handling via Mailman is a plus, since
it (in my organization) is already used for "normal" mailing lists for
internal and external use.

Many customers, who normally only use the net for web and mail, would
prefer a mail being sent from Customer Service, and addressed to their
own address, so that they know the mail was sent to them, and that they
can hit reply to get help.

I would certainly prefer that, since a not insignificant fraction of the
users usually hits "reply to all" anyway.  This creates a lot of
unneccesary noise on the moderator interface.

Yes, that same functionality could be used to spam, but in most cases it
won't.  Mailman is simply not efficient enough for that purpose. The
spammers use hundreds of thousands of worm-infected computers today, to
spread messages.

I guess many of my problems could be solved by combining mailman
options, but I'd like a "this is an announcement list" option, that does
all this for me.

[0] Information about planned outages, unplanned outages, etc...

--
Stig Sandbeck Mathisen

"The key to change ... is to let go of fear"
	-- Rosanne Cash