[Mailman-Developers] Python versions (was: Re: RELEASED Mailman 2.1.5)

Daniel Buchmann Daniel.Buchmann at bibsys.no
Thu May 20 06:22:24 EDT 2004

On Tue, 2004-05-18 at 08:28, Ricardo wrote:
> > Dang, dang, dang.  It's getting quite untenable to continue to support
> > older Pythons, even in the Mailman 2.1 branch.  Given that Python 2.1
> > and 2.2 are no longer being supported by the PSF, I've very tempted to
> > require Python 2.3 for some upcoming patch version of Mailman 2.1.  How
> > much hardship would that impose on folks?
>
> Well, Debian stable doesn't go beyond python2.2, so that would mean
> Debian users will either need to install python from source or find a
> backport. It'll take a while before the new stable Debian is released. I
> don't now the state of other distro's.

Here's a summary of Python versions on other popular distro's:

RedHat:
  RedHat 8.0 has Python 2.2.1
  RedHat 9.0 has Python 2.2.2
  Fedora Core 1 has Python 2.2.3

Mandrake:
  Mandrake Linux 9.2 has Python 2.3
  Mandrake Linux 10.0 has Python 2.3.3

Gentoo supports these Python versions:
	2.3.1-r1, 2.2.2, 2.2.3-r5. 2.3.3, 2.3.3-r1, 2.3.4_rc1

Looks like RedHat users will have to build Python from source if 2.3
becomes a requirement...
:)

-Daniel