[Mailman-Developers] Dates again

Joe Rhett jrhett at meer.net
Wed Nov 24 04:13:58 CET 2004

On Sat, Nov 20, 2004 at 10:42:24AM +0100, Brad Knowles wrote:
> 	If there were a way to effectively detect when a "Date:" header
> was wrong and when it was okay, then I might be willing to allow the
> system to correct the "Date:" header in those particular cases.  If
> you've got a patch or additional code that can do that, I'd like to
> see it, although I can't promise it would be accepted by the Mailman
> developers for inclusion in an upcoming version.
>
> 	I can't speak for Barry, Tokio, or the other Mailman developers,
> but I would be violently opposed to a change of this sort.

Out of curiosity, am I overlooking something or are we over-generalizing
the solution?

My straw man (which may be wildly under-educated) is that we have no need
at all to modify any headers, but instead to ignore the Date: header
entirely for archive and digest purposes.  Leave the Date header there, but
don't use it.  Instead use time of receipt.

Now, go grab a 2x4 and clue me in...

--
Joe Rhett
Senior Geek