[Mailman-Developers] Status of bug #974290 unknown encoding crashes qrunner?

Tokio Kikuchi tkikuchi at is.kochi-u.ac.jp
Tue Nov 30 14:18:12 CET 2004

Hi,

Stephen J. Turnbull wrote:

> What is the status of these bugs?
>
>     bug #974290 unknown encoding crashes qrunner
>     bug #926034 crashes on encoding errors
>
> I seem to recall that Tokio Kikuchi or maybe Jim Tittsler had a fix,
> but there's nothing about it in the tracker, and I can't find it in my
> mailman-developers archive.  There are a few posts with the words
> "unknown encoding" in them on mailman-users and mailman-developers,
> but no fixes. :-(

Well, these problems are essentially from absence of codecs for the
charset used. You will need to upgrade python to 2.2 for 'windows-1252'
was introduced in python 2.2 and not present in 2.1 for the latter
#926034 case. You may want to upgrade python to 2.4 because gb2312 and
CJK charset was finally supported in the Python distribution.

> I can probably get my host to install the codecs (I assume that would
> help), but this really shouldn't crash the runner.
>
> I'm seeing this under Mailman 2.1.5, on a fairly motley RedHat system
> (I think it was running 5.x when we started hosting our lists there,
> it's been upgraded piece-by-piece, often from source, since then).  Of
> course it's all Chinese spam in GB2312, but it would be nice if it
> didn't fill the error log and the shunt queue, and simply evaporated
> instead.<wink>

You can reduce the number of shunts by using privacy filters. In the
forthcoming mailman 2.1.6, list-request address is more robust against
the spams having alian charset.

Again, all developers are encourged to upgrade your installation to the
latest CVS (Release_2_1-maint branch).

Cheers,
http://weather.is.kochi-u.ac.jp/