[Mailman-Developers] Pickle-induced integration issues

Barry Warsaw barry at python.org
Fri Oct 1 02:20:48 CEST 2004

On Thu, 2004-09-30 at 19:24, Rob Lanphier wrote:

> Anyway, one thing that my users are constantly clamoring for is features
> that would come from tighter integration between GForge and Mailman.
> I've been mulling this over for a while, and it seems that deep
> integration is limited by the way that most Mailman data is stored in
> pickles.  Since GForge is coded and pretty heavily bound to PHP.

Do you care about list data, user data, or both?

If it's user data, then you can mostly write a backend for the
MemberAdaptor interface that shoves the data into whatever GForge uses.
If it's list data you want to integrate, that's harder <wink>.

> I'm wondering if there are recommendations from this group.  I'm also
> wondering if there have been any movements/efforts in any of these
> directions already.

This is what MM3 is all about.  Every piece of data will be stored in a
backend through an interface, including messages, user data, and list
data.  MM3 will come with some persistent database on the backend by
default, but I hope/envision/expect that there will be backends for
other databases (e.g. MySQL, LDAP, etc.).