[Mailman-Developers] Pickle-induced integration issues

Rob Lanphier robla at real.com
Fri Oct 1 02:58:44 CEST 2004

On Fri, 2004-10-01 at 02:34 +0200, Brad Knowles wrote:
> 	See <http://www.list.org/devs.html>.  In particular:
>
> 		Mailman uses an inefficient persistency system based on
> 		Python pickles, and every mailing list has its own pickled
> 		state. This has several disadvantages, including poor
> 		scalability, difficulty in doing cross-mailing list
> 		operations, and the virtual host limitation on list names.
> 		Mailman 3.0 will use a real database, perhaps based on ZODB
> 		or BerkeleyDB. Again, the goal is to generalize the
> 		interface to the backend database so that others can be
> 		used, but choose one and ship it by default.

Ah, very cool.  Thanks Brad and Barry for your quick answers.  I'll look
through the MM3 plans, and hopefully I'll be able to contribute a
little.

I'm somewhat tempted to knock something out quick and dirty based on the
MemberAdapter work, but by the time I get around to doing something like
that, MM3 will probably be a lot closer to reality.  I'll also post
something on helixcommunity.org.  Since many of the people complaining
are competent developers, maybe I can enlist them  ;-)

Rob
--
Rob Lanphier, Development Support Manager - RealNetworks
Helix Community: http://helixcommunity.org