[Mailman-Developers] Can we remove nimda.txt ?

John W. Baxter jwblist at olympus.net
Sat Oct 16 17:52:15 CEST 2004

On 10/15/2004 22:52, "Tokio Kikuchi" <tkikuchi at is.kochi-u.ac.jp> wrote:

> Also, I want to ask 'nimda.txt' in the tests/msgs directory is of
> any use in the mailman source code. None of the test scripts refer
> to this file. I even did "find . | xargs grep nimda" only to get
> "Binary file ./tests/msgs matches". If none of you can find usage
> of this file, I want to remove from the source tree because some
> companies prohibit to download a file which contain nimda file.
> (I know it's nonsense but ...)

My guess is that the nimda.txt file is left over and can be removed without
harm.

You might want to refer folks who want to run test "virus" messages through
their Mailman system ("system" = the MTA and its filtering and Mailman and
whatever else is involved at a given site) to
   http://www.eicar.org
(note...eicar.com is very different).

By including the reference, you avoid having anything in the distribution
which triggers (sensible) virus scanners.

  --John (who just used eicar yesterday in another context)