[Mailman-Developers] on the subject of fix_url, list creation with @ is non-intuitive..

Joe Rhett jrhett at meer.net
Wed Oct 27 07:26:52 CEST 2004

On Wed, Oct 27, 2004 at 12:14:47AM -0400, Terri Oda wrote:
> >Most _people_ but not most sysadmins.  This isn't my list.  I want to set
> >up the required settings for the list to function from the command line.
>
> When I set up a list as a sysadmin, even for someone else, I invariably
> log in to the web interface to make sure it works. :)

Agreed, but fairly non-trivial to automate ;-0  Thus, command line...

> >It's not like the setting is easy to find or understand for joe user.
> >It's our biggest FAQ.

> Interesting...
>
> Do you happen to know where users look for this setting?   If most
> people are looking in the same (wrong) place, then maybe it'd make
> sense to move the setting there.

"everywhere" according to them ;-)

It is probably a labeling thing more than a placement issue.  Anyway, the
goal is to have the script set up the mailing list in a working manner
automatically.  If they break it, they break it.  But setting up the list
in a broken manner and requiring the user to fix it is less useful.

--
Joe Rhett
Senior Geek