[Mailman-Developers] on the subject of fix_url, list creation with @ is non-intuitive..

Joe Rhett jrhett at meer.net
Wed Oct 27 19:16:15 CEST 2004

>> Most _people_ but not most sysadmins.  This isn't my list.  I want to set
>> up the required settings for the list to function from the command line.
	..
>> Agreed, but fairly non-trivial to automate ;-0  Thus, command line...

> Is I indicated in a previous post, bin/config_list can change it. It
> should be fairly simple to script writing "host_name = 'something'" to
> a file and then doing bin/config_list -i that_file listname.

It's also simple to run fix_url in a similar manner.  So why is the url
setting provided with newlist?

>From our experience, most lists need the list mailaddr changed.  Very very
few need the urlhost changed.  So I am asking why newlist doesn't do both.

> I am curious. I'm not questioning your need, I'm just wondering why you
> have a need to create a list in a particular web domain with an email
> host different from the one set for that domain in VIRTUAL_HOSTS.

I think you completely misunderstand.  I don't want to change the web
domain -- that is the problem! The list server has only one name,
ever.  There are no virtual hosts involved.  There are no web domains.

The goal is to allow people to have their lists inside their own domain,
without having to find the value and fix it in their web admin.

Thus, lists.meer.net (the only name, no virtual hosts) hosts lists known as
mylist at mydomain.com, hislist at hisdomain.net, herlist at herdomain.net, etc.

The admin interface for the domain will always be http://lists.meer.net/...
It's the mailaddr for the domain which is almost always changed.

--
Joe Rhett
Senior Geek