[Mailman-Developers] Alternate user (and admin) interfaces

Tollef Fog Heen tfheen at raw.no
Sun Sep 5 09:07:58 CEST 2004

* Ian Bicking

(Yes, I know, old mail, but still)

| I've been searching around for people's experiences implementing
| alternate web interfaces for Mailman, but I've been surprised not to
| find much.
|
| The desire to do this seems obvious to me -- there's a lot of
| different flavors of mailing list (discussion, announce,
| correspondance management, and many others).  The interface tries to
| support all of these, and is rather overwhelming as a result.  Since I
| haven't found other people making these interfaces, I'm guessing: (a)
| I'm not looking in the right places, (b) people are doing this but not
| sharing their results, (c) and it's so easy they don't even need to
| ask public questions about it, (d) or it's so hard they give up
| quickly, (e) or it's easy but fragile, and people create lots of
| prototypes but nothing serious, (e) or everyone lacks the imagination
| or interest to try.

For me, it was b) (part of a job).  I replaced the MembershipAdaptor
with something that used a postgresql database and then wrote a
completely separate interface to work with the database.  Fairly easy,
alltogether, though there were some bugs in various parts of Mailman
doing assumptions about that you were using OldStyleMemberShipAdaptor
(but those were fairly easily fixed, and patches posted).

                                                                      `. `'
                                                                        `-