[Mailman-Developers] VERP and personalization modifications to the headers?

Brad Knowles brad at stop.mail-abuse.org
Sun Sep 12 18:53:35 CEST 2004

Folks,

	I'm on a mailing list server that has recently upgraded from
Mailman 2.0.* to 2.1.5, and in the process of the upgrade, they also
enabled full message personalization and VERP.  However, certain
changes were also made to the way the "To:" and "Cc:" headers were
being addressed, and I was wondering if someone could confirm to me
where these changes were made.

	Previously, when receiving a message sent to the list, the "To:"
header would be that of the list, and I would be an envelope
recipient.  Of course, someone could also cc me directly, but that
wasn't reflected in the "To:" header.

	Now, the "To:" header contains my address, and the list address
is on the "Cc:" header.

	As I'm sure you can imagine, this has broken filtering for a
number of people.

	My understanding is that this addressing change is a result of
enabling full personalization and VERP, but I'm trying to understand
just exactly why it has to be done this way.

	References to specific sections of specific RFCs would be appreciated.

	Thanks!

     Assembly to the Governor, November 11, 1755