[Mailman-Developers] SCRUBBER Question

Mark Sapiro msapiro at value.net
Fri Sep 24 22:55:12 CEST 2004

Kory Wheatley wrote:

>I have Scrubber enabled on  my Mailman 2.1.5 configuration.  It works
>fine stripping the attachments,  except, why does it change a Microsoft
>Word extension ".doc" to a ".bin"?  This makes it difficult to open the
>attachment, because you have to either save it to your hard drive and
>associate the file to open in the correct program, or choose which
>program to open it with.  Why doesn't Scrubber  just leave it at .doc
>and then when you click on the stripped attachment link, wouldn't it
>know to bring up the correct application and display the file?  Or would
>it thing the content type is HTML?

That depends on what content-type your web server associates with .doc
extensions.

>Any solutions or work around.  Please respond this is critical that I
>know if there is something I can do.

You might try putting a .htaccess file in archives/private/listname or
in archives/private/listname/attachments with a

  AddType application/msword bin

directive in it. Depending on your web server and browser, this may
work, but if it does it will then try to open any .bin attachment with
msword which will be a problem if you have any non-msword attachments
that get saved with "bin" extensions.