[Mailman-Developers] SCRUBBER Question

Robby Griffin rmg at terc.edu
Sat Sep 25 00:04:02 CEST 2004

On Friday, Sep 24, 2004, at 16:43 US/Eastern, Brad Knowles wrote:

> At 10:50 AM -0600 2004-09-24, Kory Wheatley wrote:
>
>>  I have Scrubber enabled on  my Mailman 2.1.5 configuration.  It works
>>  fine stripping the attachments,  except, why does it change a
>> Microsoft
>>  Word extension ".doc" to a ".bin"?
>
> 	Because leaving it as a ".doc" file is dangerous.

Get real. It changes the extension not because .doc files are dangerous
but because the sender simply failed to use Mailman's idea of the
proper MIME type for a .doc file. You can of course get Mailman to
leave a .doc file as a .doc file by sending it in with a content-type
of application/msword. This just turns out to be unlikely in practice
because MUAs have limited knowledge of proper MIME types.

	--Robby