[Mailman-Developers] Red Hat plans on moving an installation directory

Barry Warsaw barry at python.org
Wed Sep 29 18:54:10 CEST 2004

On Wed, 2004-09-29 at 12:39, John Dennis wrote:

> However, we are in the process of trying to make Linux much more secure
> and a major component of that strategy is the introduction of a
> technology called SELinux (Secure Linux). SELinux has at its heart the
> "labeling" of files which give fine grained control over what actions
> specific processes operating in certain "roles" can do. To make this
> viable there is a tremendous advantage to having files installed in
> canonical locations (at a minimum conforming to the FHS, the Filesystem
> Hierarchy Standard).

I don't have much to add, except to say that I think it's a good thing
to at least conform to FHS.  To the extent that MM2's architecture makes
this difficult (e.g. mm_cfg.py) if there are simple things we can do to
make this possible I'm all ears.  It is definitely a design goal of MM3
to be able to install all the constituent parts in the canonical
locations.