[Mailman-Developers] Patch for Mail Archive mirroring

Jeff Marshall marshman at frozenbear.com
Sat Apr 30 19:37:15 CEST 2005

Thomas Hochstein wrote:

> Am I missing something, or wouldn't it be enough for a listowner who
> wishes to use that service to subscribe archive at mail-archive.com to
> the list to achieve that goal?

Yes, although the patch contains two options.  The first is the option to archive externally at mail-archive.com.  The second option asks if the list admin wants to treat the external archive as primary, which sets the List-Archive header and the link on the list info page to the external archive.  This is for admins that prefer a searchable archive as their  primary.

(It'd be nicer if RFC 2369 stated that the List-Archive header could support multiple URLs, but it doesn't.)

The other positive for adding external archiving/mirroring as a Yes/No option is that it is helpful for list admins that don't know the services exist.  The Mailman FAQ entry "How do I make the archives searchable" is a bit daunting, whereas this gives admins an easy option right in the Gui.

The option for mail-archive.com mirroring is defaulted to No.

This is a great discussion so far.

Jeff