[Mailman-Developers] Learn SPAM

Magnus Danielson cfmd at bredband.net
Sat Dec 3 18:44:30 CET 2005

Hi!

I have considered methods to let SPAMs which went under the spamassassin radar
(i.e. passed spamassassins check) but failed the member of list check (which
has so far been a 100% filter for this category) to be somehow sent into the
spamassassin learning process, so that list-admins/moderators can teach the
spamassassin filter. When doing this on a larger site like the one which my
mailman installation sits on also means that I don't have direct access to the
spamassassin processing, so some form of passing may be necessary.

I've toyed with these alternatives:

1) The moderator gets the option of click a "Is SPAM" check-box for a caught
   message. A site-configuration decides weither this means forwarding the spam
   to an email address, tossing it on an MBOX file or saving it as a separate
   file.

2) The moderator gets a different default forward email address to a hidden
   list (learnspam at domain), this hidden list archives the emails as normal but
   has normally no members.

3) Have the front-end of the first proposal but actually use the normal email
   listing mechanism of the second proposal.

The later of these are really just a quick-and-dirty implementation of the
first, but it does have its merits.

Any thoughts?

Cheers,
Magnus