[Mailman-Developers] Encoding problem: Mailman bails during "Administrative requests"

Edward Elhauge ee at uncanny.net
Thu Dec 15 09:39:35 CET 2005

* Tokio Kikuchi <tkikuchi at is.kochi-u.ac.jp> wrote on [2005-12-14 18:49]:
> Hi,
>
> Can you test attached patch in your system?  My system accepts non-ascii
> characters in logging and does not reproduce your error.

Your patch worked. And yes I have Python 2.4.2. Thank you very much.

I'd like to ask this list another question. Would there be any
philosophical objection to a config flag in Python that would
/dev/null the "Post by non-member to a members-only list"?

I've done this in the past, for older versions, but not in a
configurable form.  I'd be would be willing to submit a patch
for this as a per-maillist configurable feature if it had
a chance to be folded into a release.

This feature makes sense if you have a heavily spam targeted list.
It's also less blunt than the "Discard all messages marked Defer".

> Edward Elhauge wrote:
> >I asked the Mailman-Users list this question last week, but got no
> >useful replies. Since this is a bug in the code, someone here might
> >know how to proceed.
> >
> >I might add to the original question: Would it help to go to the very
> >latest Mailman release?
> >
> >RRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR
> >
> >I'd like some help on dealing with this problem permanently. I've been
> >getting this behavior every couple of months and haven't found a good
> >solution yet.
> >
> >The way it happens is that I'm on the "Administrative requests" page for
> >some mailing list and when I submit the deletion requests I get the
> >following reply from the browser:
> >    Bug in Mailman version 2.1.6

        Edward Elhauge <ee at uncanny.net>
"One allows himself to be fooled once, to be fooled twice; but he
who permits himself always to be fooled remains a fool." -- Rudolf Rocker