[Mailman-Developers] Mail-to-news gatewaying?

Brad Knowles brad at stop.mail-abuse.org
Tue Feb 8 21:24:01 CET 2005

At 2:25 PM -0500 2005-02-08, Bob Puff at NLE wrote:

>  Right, but why are we providing the option in the first place?  To try
>  to show threading?  Seems that it would cause more grief like that which
>  Brad was alluding to earlier.

	I'm not 100% certain, but I don't think that the subject
numbering issue has any direct relation to the mail/news gateway
process.  I think it's intended for use in mail-only environments,
perhaps such as an official support mailing list where things need to
be tracked by ticket number, etc....  In this case, the subject
numbering would presumably become the ticket number.

>  I'm just wondering if we're losing a good fix due to an incompatibility
>  with a feature that might not be used.

	So long as there's an optional way to cause that to be pulled
back out when the message is gatewayed to a newsgroup, and the
overall feature defaults to off, I don't see that there's much of a
problem here.  But it certainly can make life in other areas more
complex.

     Assembly to the Governor, November 11, 1755