[Mailman-Developers] Hashing member passwords in config.pck

Tobias Eigen tobias at kabissa.org
Thu Feb 10 17:17:02 CET 2005

Hi Barry,

While you're on this subject, I was intrigued by the password resetting
script but was disappointed that there is no way to actually configure
the password on the command-line. I was thinking this would enable
integration of Mailman subscriptions into an existing user database
(i.e. via a nightly cron). If you use a commonly used encryption, then
doing this on the command line shouldn't pose any security issues. On
Kabissa this would be a key aspect to making Mailman continue to work
as our list manager of choice for e-mail newsletters and discussions in
our CMS of choice, Mambo Open Source.

Then again, if you're thinking of rewriting how passwords are kept,
perhaps it might be useful to think about using a different type of
container anyway, one that works with other, more sophisticated user
management systems like those that come with CMSs. I.e. LDAP or simply
mysql.

And this, plus the CAN prefix to the patch name, reminds me: correct me
if I'm wrong, but my understanding is that Mailman as it exists does
not comply with the new (unfortunately named) CAN SPAM act. According
to this act, a recipient of an email from a given site has to be able
to opt out from receiving ANY MAIL from that site. Right now all
mailman lists are treated completely separately, and nobody (not even
the subscriber) can easily find out which lists subscribers are
subscribed to. What I envision having in my Mailman/Mambo system is a
single user database with one password per username for all services.
Users can then go to a simple preferences page on Mambo and do basic
things like change their email address or password, tick a box to opt
in/out of various mailings, and in particular opt to receive no mail at
all. Other Mambo components would handle reading forums and newsletters
online and enable users to subscribe/unsubscribe to them.

If anybody's got any suggestions on how to achieve this or is
interested in working with us to develop this functionality, let me
know.

Cheers,

Tobias

--
Tobias Eigen
Executive Director

Kabissa - Space for Change in Africa
http://www.kabissa.org

* Kabissa's vision is for a socially, economically, politically, and
environmentally vibrant Africa, supported by a strong network of
effective civil society organizations. *