[Mailman-Developers] Hashing member passwords in config.pck

Adrian Bye adrian at tasdevil.com
Fri Feb 11 02:34:23 CET 2005

> I would suggest 'mailman 2.2' and introduce password-less membership.
> Most of the user operations should be done by confirmation
> string sent by email message. Users can optionally have their
> passwords which should be stored in hashed format.

This would be great.

As an additional note, I have had my developer make a pretty good solution for
adding headers and footers in HTML.  We did a _lot_ of research as to how
yahoogroups implements this, and have copied their implementation.  Its not 100%
perfect - for example if the background color of a message is black, the headers
and footers won't show properly.  But it covers probably 98% of mail and
successfully adds headers and footers to all kinds of multi-part mime email.  It
also handles badly formed email, again using the same implementation as yahoo
groups.

I have the patches for mailman 2.5 here, and will send them out next week so you
can check them out.

This will make password-less membership quite easy to implement, since it will
support both html and plain text.

Adrian