[Mailman-Developers] Hashing member passwords in config.pck

Barry Warsaw barry at python.org
Sat Feb 12 00:38:43 CET 2005

On Fri, 2005-02-11 at 05:01, Ian Eiloart wrote:

> >> I'm all for the password-less stuff, but then how do you authenticate for
> >> members-only archives?  I've got big lists that must be members-only for
> >> the archives.

> > Operations include authentication.
>
> So, to access the private archive I have to wait for an email message?

One way to make this not suck as much is to drop a cookie that lives
longer than the session, after you click-authenticate the first time.
However, this is fairly dangerous if you were to read private archives
from a public machine, which is why cookies all currently expire at the
end of the browser session.

The same situation occurs for accessing the options page, but that is a
much less common operation.  Maybe users are willing to wait for an
email round-trip in order to change their options.  I tend to think not
though -- they may hitting the web interface from a machine that doesn't
have access to their mail, and then they're screwed.

Integrating with external user storages for authentication should help
out a lot here, but I'm just not seeing how we can totally eliminate
passwords.  I'm willing to be convinced though.